What is the YPU ?
We are an ‘Umbrella’ group for amateur photographic clubs in Yorkshire and have 70 affiliated clubs. As one of 15 regional Federations in UK we are part of a countrywide network of clubs representing around 30,000 members.
This is achieved through our affiliation to the Photographic Alliance of Great Britain (PAGB). In essence we promote amateur photography in Yorkshire and give support to our clubs.
How do we operate ?
The YPU is managed by an Executive of 13 who are all volunteers. Each Executive member has a role. We hold an Annual General Meeting every February/March with representatives from all our affiliated clubs together with a further meeting of club representatives in November. Clubs pay an affiliation fee based on the size of their membership.
What do we do ?
The YPU organises the following events each year:
- Our Annual Exhibition and Assembly is the high point of our year. Over 3,000 prints and images are submitted by clubs on behalf of their members. These are entered in one of 10 Print categories or a similar number of Projected Digital Image categories. The work is judged by independent selectors working in teams of three. The accepted entries which include around 200 mounted prints and a similar number of images are displayed at the Annual Exhibition hosted be one of our affiliated clubs. The opening day coincides with our Assembly which celebrates the work of the Federation and its club members.
- The Keighley Day provides a day of prestige lectures and workshops. It is named after Alexander Keighley, one of the founders of the Yorkshire Photographic Union and its President for over 20 years.
The YPU provides a number of services to its clubs:
- We manage, recruit and train a list of judges within Yorkshire who are able to provide a service to clubs and who charge travel expenses based on PAGB rates.
- We manage a list of speakers who provide a wide range presentations to clubs and who charge travel expenses based on PAGB rates.
- This website provides a news page for club events and links to club websites.
- Regular e-mailings to Club Secretaries also keep them abreast of photographic events in our county.
- Social media is available through the YPU’s Facebook page.
- Affiliated clubs can avail themselves of preferential Public Indemnity and Management insurance which has been negotiated nationally.
- We have a stock of frames for exhibiting 500mm by 400mm prints and a set of mesh stands to cater for free-standing exhibitions. When not in use for its own exhibition the frames and stands are freely available to clubs.
- There is a travelling portfolio of accepted prints drawn from each year’s Annual Exhibition which can be borrowed by clubs.
- Advancing Photography initiative has increased the proportion of members holding recognized awards and qualifications in photography. This is supplemented by a mentoring system to encourage members to work towards PAGB awards. Mentoring is being provided by those who already hold such awards and are currently active in national and international salons & competitions. These efforts have also helped to improve the success of the YPU and clubs that represent the YPU in PAGB events. See An Introduction to APM
In recent years the Yorkshire International Salon, has become a regular annual event on the International Salon calendar. The salon has benefited from the patronage of FIAP and the PSA and has been popular as it includes A4 print sections as well as projected image sections.
The YPU has a good standing on the PAGB Executive and cordial relations with the other 14 Federations that constitute the PAGB. These relationships are very important and have been nurtured by Howard Tate who is now in his second year of his 2 year term as PAGB President.
Alan Stopher CPAGB
Past President – Yorkshire Photographic Union